Ecologic Meeting February 18, 2010
Speaker - Professor David Hess
- Green Technology, Green Jobs, other Green Projects
- Venus Effect
- runaway global warming: similar to the planet Venus and its trapping of greenhouse gases
- Writing a book on localism and local foods
- Debate on food miles - what uses the least amount of carbon
- Farmers' Markets generally decrease
- Move your money video
- Move your Money
- been used by localist movements to encourage spending on small businesses
- If you're spending money on a chain such as Wal-Mart 75% of your money goes corporate where as when you spend locally, only 25% will go corporate. The profits made by the business will stay within the community
- The rich elite is squeezing the middle class
- The Democrats are more progressive but they are also the party of Wall Street
- At the same rate the Republicans are invested in brown energy (oil, natural gas) and the two elites compete: one with energy and the other with finances
- We see the prospect of spiraling inflation in the future of the U.S.
- As long as you can control the senate, you can control what motions go through and don't
- Environmental reform requires democracy
- If you were 60 years old and looking back on your life, what would you have done to make a difference in the environmental movement?
- Who is your hero? Who inspires you?