Ecologic Meeting November 1, 2011
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Ice Breaker/Attendance
- 3 Discussion
- 4 Officers Meeting (probably not going on the wiki)
- Ice Breaker Question - When was the last time you rode a bike?
- Discussion Questions:
- 1. What needs to be done to city infrastructure to make it more accommodating to cyclists?
- 2. Think of ideas that will help to innovate the bicycle for the 21st century. These can be ideas you've read about or ideas you've made up.
- 3.Why is cycling looked so down upon in the U.S.?
- 4.If all the streets in a given city were designated as bike lanes, what consequences (if any) do you think there would be?
- Other Announcements and Paraphernalia
- 1.United Way Bottle Drive
- 2.Meeting ideas for November (food-themed)
- Officer's Meeting (probably after the meeting)
- 1. Wiki Problems
- Name, major, year, and when did you last ride a bike?
- Zack, Biochem/Biophysics, Senior, 8th grade
- Jay, Biology and Economics, Senior, yesterday
- Jen H., Physics, Senior, today
- Jen S., Physics, Junior, last summer
- Torrin, Physics and Math, graduating in 2012, today
- Elizabeth, Sustainability Studies, Sophomore, sometime before I was 14
- Sam, Electrical Engineering, Freshman, last weekend
- Terrance, ChemE, Freshman, today
- Paulina, EMAC/Psych, Senior, last summer
- Deborah (late)
- Tyler (late)
- We broke up into two groups and discussed stuff.
What needs to be done to city infrastructure to make it more accommodating to cyclists?
- Bike lanes
- Made from renewable materials
- Repaving (hard for bikes when roads are poor)
- Bike racks
- Showers in workplaces
- Bike racks on buses
- Bike share
- Added security on bike racks, such as cameras
- Greater integration between city transportation and bikes
Think of ideas that will help to innovate the bicycle for the 21st century. These can be ideas you've read about or ideas you've made up.
- Charge other things from cycling
- Electric bikes
- More comfortable seats
- Added security (like a car alarm)
- Folding bike
- Copenhagen wheel (creates energy, then you can use it to go up a hill)
- Older people in a world w/out cars--recumbant bikes
Why is cycling looked so down upon in the U.S.?
- Is it?
- Not so popular
- (Jay) road rage to cyclists
- Arrive sweaty
- Infrastructure (things not as close as they are vs. other countries), culture
- Economic reasons why people ride bikes more in other countries
- Not so much knowledge about biking
- Other people make fun of bikers
- Cars are status symbols
- Stigma around bikes, unsafe
- Recreational biking vs. commuter biking, how they are viewed
- Girls getting whistled at (might make them not want to ride bikes)
Officers Meeting (probably not going on the wiki)
- Zack, Jay, and Elizabeth are going to meet with someone about the wiki at some point
- Zack told us that certain items had been ordered for after the film in two weeks
- Jay wants them to have tigers and snakes for whatever reason
- Meeting adjourned/over