Ecologic Meeting October 22, 2009
- What is your favorite fall activity?
Troy Food Co-op
Troy Food Co-op is a store that’s trying to be opened to support local farmers and create some new jobs in the Troy area
- A food co-op is more like a grocery store than a farmer’s market. Aside from local food,
- It would be open during the week from unlike the farmers’ market which is open for only on one-two day(s)
- Membership is $150 but that $150 is also a small stake in the co-op. You can buy joint co-op which allows for a families (up to 4 names on one share) to buy food from the co-op
- you can also sell the shares back
- In order for the co-op to open, there needs to be 300 more new memberships. There are currently ~700
- Looking for volunteers on Nov. 21st (Saturday) - 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for getting awareness out about the co-op
Beth has been working on getting a farmers’ market on campus. Found it would be easier if the students managed the market because it would get funded under the Union’s insurance
- Going around and talking constituents as well as going down into Troy to see who’s interested in selling their products at the farmer’s market
- Will be meeting next week outside Shelnutt Gallery - Thursday at 4:00 p.m.
- The market will be in Mother’s next spring but then it will be outside Sage Dining Hall when it gets warmer
- Cash is accepted as payment but RAD unlikely
350 Rally this Saturday at 2 p.m.
- Over 4,000 rallies scheduled in 161 countries - Senate set to meet Tuesday on Climate Change
- Jay is leading a bike ride to Albany at 10:45 a.m. in front of the Union Lobby
- Helmets are necessary but there are a few extra helmets available
- You can take the CDTA to Albany at 12:30 for 1:30 or at 1:30 for 2:30
- Car pooling is the last option
- Anyone who needs a ride should come to the EEC
- There will be speakers at the rally and there will also be tables from various environmental organizations
- Ecologic table at International Festival - starts at 11 if you want to volunteer
Troy Bike Rescue is looking for volunteers
- Open on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5-8 p.m.
Anasha called T-shirt company
- Can print anything on their T-shirts and it costs $8.50 for under 4 dozen
Water Bottles - people will submit their plastic water bottles and get canteens in their place
- Jay e-mailed some contacts and they said they didn’t have anymore nalgenes from ECAV event
- They gave him contact information for the producers of the nalgenes so buying directly from the producer is another viable option
- They really like the idea but there is debate to using either stickers or posters
Some architecture students are interested in started a solar decathlon team
- Competition in building solar homes at 800 sq. ft.
- Only 20 schools are allowed to participate and an advanced proposal needs to be written and there needs to be substantial emphasis on how the money is being raised
- RPI has a high chance of getting into the competition - deadline for 2011 competition is Nov. 20th 
- Been in commons since Monday and has been promoting trayless dining and has been reasonably successful 50% not eating with trays
- Been working with sodexho to making facilities that promote trayless dining but there wasn’t much they could do about it
- 350 Rally