Ecologic Meeting October 28, 2013
Environmental Justice discussion
- people/ people of color are more likely to deal with environmental pollution and other bad things
- People in poorer communities are more likely to allow bad things to happen if they are offered money as stipulation
- Love Canal- part of a town was on top of a lot of toxins and lots of people were hurt and sick because of it and it took a lot of fighting to get the EPA to accept that they needed to be relocated
What can we do?
- Help the little people with their fight for justice
- Clean up communities, get attention to communities that need it
- Elizabeth wants to bring to light these issues through anthropology.
- Look at politician's histories with environmental problems before voting for them
- Film flow looks at water and pollution
- Need to push for corporate policy and ethics. Need better regulations.
- Better international governmental system
- Richer countries exploit poorer countries and occassionally other rich countries and put lots of environmental bads on those exploited countries
- General education about the bads that can happen
- Ethics involved in GMOs, can't test on children but can't find out if things work otherwise
- Testing GMOs for toxins can cause huge controversy
- Electrical waste can cause human damage and environmental damage and needs a better system of recycling
- At some point, our environmental problems will be irreversible.
- "If we don't do anything, we're f***ed."
- E-mail Vamos and Jean for Elizabeth
- Reserve a table 10-4 in the Union on the 21st and 22nd, bake on 20th
- Schedule a viewing of the Lorax
- "It'd be like watching Planet of the Apes and then going 'There were apes in Planet of the Apes?'"